Thursday, August 19, 2010

How to setup home network so I can log onto my account and access Outlook from any computer?

At my work I can log onto my account from any computer on the network and when I open Outlook all of my saved messages show up and my calendar shows all the appointments just like I was at my own computer. It even shows a personal network drive so that I can access my documents. How do I setup this kind of access on my home network?How to setup home network so I can log onto my account and access Outlook from any computer?
At work, you have a SERVER with Active Directory and an Exchange server. When you log on to any computer that computer then tells the server to connect YOUR profile. Thus Outlook connects from any machine. At home, if you want the same result, you will have to have an Exchange Server! (Bring Money and a computer to use as a server.)


You can use Microsofts SBS (small business server) which has these builtin, or you can get Server2008 and Exchange, or you can use a Linux server with IMAPd mail system as well but either way, you will have to keep all you ';MAIL'; on a server.





The less expensive way it to use VNC or Remote Access, just logon to the computer that has the correct outlook setup and accomplish the same thing without the server expense.How to setup home network so I can log onto my account and access Outlook from any computer?
Sounds like at work you are using Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager; everything is saved and pulled from a SQL database setup by your network administrator. If you had the same SQL server and MS Outlook with BCM you'd be able to do the same.





You can always remote to your primary machine from any machine to check your mail; check out http://www.logmein.com I use it, it's free, and it's beautiful.
  • Electric Scooter
  • mr skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment