Thursday, August 19, 2010

How can I protect my computer in a network?

There's a family network here at my house, and my dad is a weirdo who has a history of looking through my, my siblings, and my mother's business online.





Since we're all connected to the same network, I want to make sure he can't get into my computer from his. I know there's a way that can be done.





Can someone help me protect my computer from being accessed anywhere else than right here at my computer itself?How can I protect my computer in a network?
Step 1 would be to use some other operating system than Windows (you may already have taken this step -- I don't know).


Step 2: disable any guest accounts.


Step 3: make sure no regular user accounts have administrative privileges. Create a separate administrator account with its own password. Check through your user accounts to make sure your father doesn't have an account he can use.


Step 4: disable file sharing and any other similar services, or at least figure out how to restrict them to authorized users (generally not terribly difficult).





However, if you're on the same network with your father, he's likely to be able to monitor network traffic and deduce some of what you're doing. Whether he has the technical skills to do this is another question, but you should be aware that it is possible.





(Note: the steps I enumerated above are not actually in a strict order. You can do any subset of them in any order and still get some benefit.)How can I protect my computer in a network?
1-Set a Password on your Account.





2-Disable Guest Account.





Right click on my Computer ...Manage....local users and groups..users





Right click on the Guest account choose properities then mark ';this account is disabled';
What stops him from going onto your computer when you aren't home?





Do you have a firewall?





Do you run spyware, virus an malware software?





If you do you are fairly well covered. If you have a desktop PC you would also have to look for a hardware keylogger. Usually on the keyboard cable where it plugs into the computer.
Leaving your wireless network unprotected could be an open door for nosy neighbors鈥攐r worse鈥攎obile malicious attackers searching for wireless networks to break into, a practice known as wardriving.





It's not uncommon for a home user with a wireless-enabled computer to pick up a wireless network signal, often inadvertently, from a next-door neighbor's access point.
Hi,


Make sure that the Remote Desktop service isn't enabled.





1. Click Start and right click My Computer and hit Properties.


2. The System Properties window should popup, Click on the Remote TAB.


3. Under Remote Desktop, make sure the feature is ';unchecked';/not selected.


4. Click apply and OK.





Was is checked?

No comments:

Post a Comment