Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I Make Sure a Network Drive is Connected All the Time even when I log out from the Server?

I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and I got my drive mapped from another server. But the thing is, after I log out from this server, it automatically disconnects the network drive as well so each time I logged into the machine, I got to connect, type in my initials and password and get it back on. So is there anyway I could make this permanent?How do I Make Sure a Network Drive is Connected All the Time even when I log out from the Server?
I assume from the question that you have not set up a domain. In this case, you typically can not 'make it permanent.' You log in to the share with a user name and password of an account that exists on the server that has the shared folder. This is tied to your log in session on the computer that has the mapped drive. As a part of thelog outt process, the connection to the shared folder is dropped. The next time you log in and attempt to connect to the share, the sharing server has now way to know who is requesting access until a user name and password is again shared. This is because the two computes do not share user information.





If you create a domain, and have both computers a part of the domain, you can then log in to the computer with a domain account. If you use this account to access the share, not a local machine account, you will not need to log in every time.





If you create accounts on both machines with identical user names and passwords, you may be able to access the share without logging in each time. This appears to be hit-and-miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment